Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'm Not Even Supposed to Be Here Today (should have been like 3 weeks ago)

I guess we should have know that Alec Baldwin would have the funny in him. I mean - he was great on Saturday Night Live as a guest host, but who'd have thought he was as funny as he turned out to be on 30 Rock? Well, if you watched Clerks: The Animated Series - you just might have been that person (or the casting directors of 30 Rock).

It's both a shame and unsurprising that this series didn't last on ABC. Thank goodness though that this was released on DVD. I suspect Randal would own this one - either that or he'd have it airing all the time at the video store. There were a lot of witty, intelligent jokes if you stuck with the show (doesn't help that ABC aired the series out of order). The second episode has countless flashbacks to the first episode - which cracks me up! If you're a Clerks or Clerks II fan - you'll enjoy this. It is PG mode, but the commentary by Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith provide for all the R-rated moments needed for a die-hard Clerks fan.

With lines like, "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Dante Hicks is just like you. He lurves grape soda. He knows what it's like when the guy at the supermarket won't take your 'food stamps.' Or how it feels to wait all month for your "welfare check," to an all black jury of NBA players while waving his hands yelling, "Hey! Ho" Hey! Ho!" how can not crack up at Smith's commentary on how modern suburbanites continue to trip over their obliviousness and unknowing racism. I found myself cringing in Clerks-like or Tarantino-like uncomfortableness - and loving every minute of it.

I'm actually kinda glad that I missed writing about this for so long, because I think that Alec Baldwin's Leonardo Leonardo is based on Trump Trump. I'll bet money that if Clerks: The Animated Series were still on the air that Kevin Smith would have written an episode focusing around Leonardo Leonardo claiming that Barack Obama is not really a male - or black - or over the age of 35... There'd be something - you know it...

No comments:

Post a Comment